Thankfully, my sister didn't cut their hair....I probably threatened her with her life if she touched these girls.
Barbie turned 50 this year.....it's true! I saw it in the newspaper this week and on the news today!
Yes ~ I still have my Barbie doll and Midge doll, her best friend. Why did I like Midge? Because she had dark hair and freckles....just so cute! I had blond hair and no freckles! Of course, we always want to look like someone else!!!!
Things I learned from Barbie & Midge:
- Hair ~ My hair never looked quite as good as Midge or Barbie, but, I tried with the eternal "flip".
- Makeup ~ I learned to love makeup as I wanted it to look as flawless as Barbie's makeup.
- Clothes ~ Always wanted my clothes to look like Barbie's ~ they didn't.
- Sewing ~ I learned to sew by making Barbie clothes. They are still in mom's cedar closet I guess.
- Knitting ~ My first knitting was done from a Barbie Knitting Kit....it was a round tube with supplies and directions included. I have no clue what the project was now....probably a scarf.
- Attitude ~ I learned to walk with my head up straight and show a little "Barbie Attitude".
- Style ~ Always wanted to have style like Barbie and when I was younger and constructed many of my clothes ~ Barbie was not far from mind.
- Size ~ this morning news said Barbie is a 38 - 18 - 34 and there's no body that is proportioned like her! Now I feel better....don't you?
- Weight ~ I'm sure she weighed in at 150 pds. because she is so tall....her legs are twice the length of her arms...another mis-proportioned body....doesn't this give you comfort to know?
Enjoy the pictures of my dolls ...... I know, sentimental ole me can't throw anything away but these dolls are a part of my life and helped make me the woman I am today. Today they live in the Davis China Cabinet along with other treasures from the past.
UPDATE: I stand corrected by my daughter, LeJoy....she said she had Barbie and Ken dolls and the PINK convertible Barbie car and she would play "school" with them when she was little. But, her dolls are not to be found any longer and the PINK Barbie car is probably in the salvage yard by now.
No comments:
Post a Comment